October 19, 2010

On Poetry: Adonis

Just wanted to say that I was stunned, really stunned, by an article in the New York Times Books section on Sunday. It was an interview with the Syrian poet Adonis. I'll be honest. I haven't read his work (yet).

But this little English major saw "poet" and couldn't help taking a little peek at the article. I was lying here on the couch (just where you left me last time we met), lazily skimming along, and suddenly, I came across this gem:

“Poetry cannot be made to fit either religion or ideology. It offers that knowledge which is explosive and surprising."

I practically fell off the couch, scrambling for my trusty notebook and pen. I just had to write that one down for later. I loved it. I also had some questions about it. Isn't religion sometimes explosive and surprising? What about religious poetry? And does secular poetry necessarily transcend some boundary which religious poetry cannot?

But then they just kept coming, one after another, bam bam bam:

“Every artist is an exile within his own language,” he said. “The Other is part of my inner being.”

“Happiness and sadness are two drops of dew on your forehead,” he writes, “and life is an orchard where the seasons stroll.”

Isn't it strange, that proximity of happiness and sadness? I've felt it here, being enclosed in the house for the past three weeks. It almost feels dishonest to take pleasure in things. I'm sad to be in this state. But undoubtedly, there is pleasure in each day too. There is some kind of freedom in imagining happiness and sadness as seasons, each following swiftly, one after the other. Or as dewdrops, existing side by side.

And how about this one: “Poetry that reaches all the people is essentially superficial. Real poetry requires effort because it requires the reader to become, like the poet, a creator. Reading is not reception."

I love the idea of reader as creator. But I think the first part of this view is too limiting. I think poetry can and should reach all people. If it cannot be read, it can be heard. If it cannot be heard, its letters can be touched. The possibilities for "reading" and responding to poetry are endless. I think it is the responsibility of poets and teachers to reach all people who wish to be reached.

So there you have it. That'll give you something to think about for a little while, won't it? Basically, I just gave up on the whole pen and paper thing and decided to sit back and take in the whole article. And then I thought I'd pass it along in case some of you might be interested too, especially since the title of this blog starts with "poetry."

And from the looks of that article, it sounds like Adonis has been hanging around Ann Arbor lately. Maybe I should drop him a line about that spectacular bakery and their chocolate chunk sourdough bread. What do you think? Does he look like a chocolate lover to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment