November 12, 2010

On Beauty

Lately I've been fascinated by the world of beauty. I can count on one hand the number of times I've been outside in the past seven weeks. I can count on two hands the number of times I've walked into the bathroom, stared at the make-up drawer, and had to mumble to myself under my breath, Don't even think about it.

I've never been one to paint up my face. For school dances and ballet performances, my younger sister practically had to tie me to a chair to get a little blush on my cheeks. I could see her coming a mile away with that dangerously pointy eyeliner.

"I already did my make-up," I'd tell her, inching away.
She'd shake her head at me, unimpressed. "Mmm hmm. Great job, Lis. Now, sit still and let me do my work."

These days, if I can manage to get dressed and eat breakfast before noon, I'm lucky. Nevertheless, I find myself eyeing not only my tried and true mascara and eyelash curler, but also the sea of new beauty products appearing on the scene for the holidays.

I can't remember the last time I've worn eyeshadow, but wouldn't you know it, I can't stop staring at Tarte's fancy Lock and Roll Eyeshadow Wand. Isn't is beautiful?



It has cream shadow on one end and a rollerball with loose shadow on the other. I just lie here with my laptop on my stomach all day ooing and aahing. And speaking of sitting still and painting my nails, Essie Nail Polish has all kinds of tempting Fall shades, as well as standbys like this beauty, "au natural."



I'm not sure whether it's pride or vanity or cabin fever that keeps me rummaging through the makeup drawer—even to the very back, to the lipsticks and the eyeliners I haven't seen in ages. Perhaps I'm preparing for my debut back in the outside world. Perhaps I'm fumbling around for memories I had thought were long gone. A lipstick I wore only once transports me to a ballroom downtown. A dusty, deeply used, golden eyeshadow puts me on a stage. Somehow I'm glad I haven't tossed them yet.

Don't worry, I probably won't be playing dress up most afternoons, while no one's home. And I'll probably save the Marilyn Monroe bombshell lipstick for another occasion. But I will be worrying about my eyebrows and painting my nails. I hope you don't mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment